Zi71bFS9nQHnivtvUJquhejTHIQ The Story Factory Reading Zone: Wonderful Wednesdays

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Wonderful Wednesdays

Hosted by Tiny Library

Wonderful Wednesdays is a meme about spotlighting and recommending some of our most loved books, even if we haven't read them recently.  Each week will have a different genre or theme.

This weeks theme is historical fiction.


This one was an easy one for me because I definatly have a favourite historical fiction author. His name is Christian Jacq and, although I haven't had a chance to read any for a while, I've been collecting his books for a few years now.

What I like about Christian Jacq's writing is that the people and context feels real. Its different from our own society, but not so different that we can't understand it. And where things do differ he often explains them through a person's feelings, thereby making them easier to understand. Plus, because he's an egyptologist, you feel thathe knows what he is writing about- these books come across as historically accurate (something that I feel is important).

Ancient Egypt is also a time period that really intrigues me. I find it interesting the way life seems to have revolved around the gods- yet there were many variations of belief living side by side. I also like discovering the complex roles between men and women, egyptians and non-egyptians.

I don't really havee any favourite Christian Jacq books (I've yet to find one I don't like). If you're interested then I recommend you start with one set in the reign of someone you know I little about- The Rameses series is probably the most likely candidate I'd have thought.

I'd love to hear what your favourite hisorical fiction is- especially if its Ancient History. Do leave a comment and, you never know, you might see yuor suggestion reviewed here in the future.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...