Zi71bFS9nQHnivtvUJquhejTHIQ The Story Factory Reading Zone: Tour Stop: 6 Seconds of Life by Tonya Fitzharris (Interview & A Review)

Saturday 3 November 2012

Tour Stop: 6 Seconds of Life by Tonya Fitzharris (Interview & A Review)




I'd like to welcome Tonya Fitzharris to 'The Story Factory Reading Zone'.
 Tonya has been kind enough to answer some of my questions about herself and her book, '6 Seconds of Life'.
You can also scroll down for my review of her book. 




Author Bio
Tonya Fitzharris is a writer, reader, blogger, mediocre cook, photographer, runner, Florida native, and cat lover. She used to be a Middle School English Teacher, but now she's trying out the whole novel writing thing. She lives in New Jersey with her husband and her Belgian cat named Waffles.


CONTACT 
WEBSITE 
TWITTER @tonyafitzharris

FACEBOOK 


The Interview

  • Describe yourself in 5 words
  •         Shy, Contemplative, Loved, Adventurous, Nervous
     
  • Tell us why we should read '6 Seconds of Life'
  •         I think that it's a story that anyone can identify with, no matter what your age or situation. For someone who has suffered through depression in the past or may be in the midst of it right now, I hope it can give them solace in discovering that they are not alone. For those who may know someone with depression (or maybe you've never met one), I hope that it can help build a bridge of understanding and compassion for those who struggle.
  • What points of your life do you think you'd remember if you only had 6 seconds?
  •          The night my husband (then just a guy I was seeing) asked me to be his boyfriend while we both extremely feverish and delirious with the flu (I gave it   to him, and he still stuck around), When my husband whispered "you look beautiful" on our wedding day, the last day of my very first year as a teacher when my students surprised me with a cake and a wonderful card that they all signed...I'm hoping that there will be many more moments that will become important to me over the next few years.
  • Are you a story planner, or a wing-it-as-you-go writer?
  •        I'm a little of both. I sit down and write a very clear outline before I go, but I often find myself changing some of it as I go along. But as far as being a complete pants-er, I can't. I need to have some sort of idea about where I'm going and whether or not my story is working.
            
  • Where do you do your writing?
  •        Usually at my desk or on my couch. I've tried to do things like go out to a coffee shop or other public area, but I just get way too distracted. I have a really bad problem with a wandering mind, so when I need to get serious, I stay home.
     
  • Which authors or books have inspired you?
  •        Laurie Halse Anderson and her book "Speak" made me fall in love with YA literature all over again as an adult. "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher helped show me that suicide was a very real subject that should and could be addressed tastefully with a teen audience. Finally, "Easy" by Tammara Webber showed me that New Adult can indeed succeed and became my beacon for what I would like my own successful career to look like.

  • If someone was coming to stay with you, what would you show them in your local area?
  •        I actually JUST moved to my new town a few days ago, so I have nothing! (It's Metuchen, NJ for anyone who knows anything about it! I'm taking suggestions!) But I do know that it is only half an hour from New York, so I plan to take full advantage of that and recommend it to anyone who happens to stop by!

    About the Book
    Young Adult / New Adult
    Title: 6 Seconds of Life
    Author: Tonya Fitzharris
    Date Published: 1st September 2012

    Maura has just jumped.
    Now she has precisely six seconds until she hits the water below her—just six more seconds until she is finally freed from her mundane and aimless existence.  Freed of all of the regrets and disappointments that have haunted her throughout her nineteen years.
    She just needs to be free.
    But as she falls, the most pivotal points of her life start to replay like a movie in her head: her family falling apart, her first love, her first heartbreak, her first true friends, and her first betrayal.  As she remembers these moments that brought her to this point, will she feel a sense of peace?  Or will her death be her greatest regret?

      
    Purchase Links 

    My review

    A basic premise, writing about in a truly emotionally fashion. The more I read, the more I felt as if I was gaining a sneak-peak into the real (and unfortunate) life of a teenager in turmoil. Starting in the midst of the action, flashbacks explain how Maura came to this tragic point. 

    The characters were believable and, at times, I almost felt as if I was reading a memoir rather than a work of fiction. The tale is no doubt one which is very real for many, and a story which we can often forget.

    A good read for anyone who likes their fiction to be hard-hitting.



    I reviewed this book as part of RABT Tours. I agreed to provide an honest review in exchange for a copy of this book. 

    Action Reader's Action: Think (or write) about some of the most important events of your life. 

    What points of your life do you think you'd remember if you only had 6 seconds? 




    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...