Zi71bFS9nQHnivtvUJquhejTHIQ The Story Factory Reading Zone: A Life Stripped Bare by Leo Hickman (Review)

Friday 29 March 2013

A Life Stripped Bare by Leo Hickman (Review)









Goodreads Summary:

It is hardly news that a growing number of people want to step back from the brink of western consumerism and find a way to live an all-round cleaner existence - one that is not only easier on the physical body but one that is lighter on the conscience too. So how do we go about it? Most people fight shy of giving up their cars, or their toxic household products, their cheap washing machines, or dodgy, unethical bank accounts in order to make the world a better place but Leo Hickman, resident consumer expert of the Guardian, reckoned he should give it a try and report back on whether it is possible to live a life that is western but aware.

My review:
I started off this book wanting to do something more to help the world that we all live in, and needing a little bit more guidance. What I found was an amusing tale of a man who wants to do the same, and comes across the same kind of stumbling blocks that I've found in the past.
When I read a book I always bookmark passages that I've found useful, inspiring, or just simply think I might want to look back on again. This book must certainly come close to the record number of tags that I've placed. Whilst a lot of the advice is outdated, it really made me think about the way I live. The result was that, last week, I went shopping with a much shorter list which was accompanied by which companies I felt I could no longer buy from. The list was not directly from this book, but the author did point me in the right direction.
Read this book if you want to be inspired to help the world you live in! Read this book if you dare to know how your everyday life can affect nature and other people! Read this book if you want to have some fun amidst the struggle of your own ethical journey!

Action Reader's Action: Look carefully at the labels on products next time you go shopping. Try to buy goods showing the fairtrade, organic, vegetarian society, or FSC marks. 

What do you do to help our world?
 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...