Today's Topic Suggestions:
- Design a party (e.g. food, music, games/activities, decorations etc) based around a book or piece of music of your choice
- If you could be invited to any party featured in a piece of music or book what would it be and why?
- If you could invite any authors or musicians to your party who would you invite and why?
- Tell us about the music at a party you've attended
- Let us know how you would celebrate if you won the 'music through the pages' giveaway
- Create a party to celebrate the end of 'music through the pages' or summer in general
The Dragonsong Party
About dragonsong (the blurb):
Every two hundred years or so, shimmering threads fall, raining black ruin on Pern. The great dragons of Pern hurl themselves through the beleaguered skies, flaming tongues of fire to destroy deadly Thread and save the planet. It was not Threadfall that made Menolly unhappy. It was her father who betrayed her ambition to be a Harper, who thwarted her love of music. Menolly had no choice but to run away. She came upon a group of fire lizards, wild relatives of the fire-breathing dragons. Her music swirled about them; she taught nine to sing, suddenly Menolly was no longer alone.The Decorations
The party would take place in a cave or, failing that, a cellar in order to mimic the holds where dragon and dragonrider live together. There would be long triangular banners on the walls, decorated with pictures of different colour dragons. In between would be long wooden tables where the food would be served on silver platters. I think that this fantasy medieval style would be in keeping with the imagery in Dragonsong.
Everyone should come in medieval style costumes similar to this:
There would be traditional ballads playing and words would be distributed so that everyone could join in. The music would be played by musicians on pan-pipes (like Menolly uses), guitar and drums.
There would be several courses as follows:
- Fresh blackcurrant juice- unsweetened (to emulate ferris juice)
- Bread with sliced meats accompanied by wine
- Fish stew
- Ostrich (wherry not being available) served with mixed root vegetables
- Seaweed sweets
- Willow-bark tea (bitter like klabark tea)
Before the meal: a bird display in honor of the dragons of 'Dragonsong'.
Music (as already stated) throughout the meal, accompanied by birds trained to sing.
After the meal: Model boat races in honor of the sea hold. A fireworks display to remind everyone of the flaming ability of the dragons.